Détails sur le poste
Lieu physique : Divisional Office, Etobicoke
Secteur : Legal Services
Vice-Présidence : Senior Director, Legal Services
Type du poste : Permanent - Temps plein
Provides legal advice & support to Metro Ontario Inc. (the Company) & its affiliates regarding its real estate holdings, including negotiating & drafting legal documentation, managing closings, and supervising outside counsel. Areas of concentration include leasing, purchase and sale, resolving disputes, managing litigation. Some commercial legal work. Provides support to the Sr. Director, Legal Services and VP General Counsel & Corp. Secretary as required.
- Draft, negotiate and finalize real estate contracts of all kinds, including offers to lease, commercial leases, in-store licenses, agreements of purchase and sale, easements, amending agreements, closing documents, e-registration.
- Advise executives and employees of the Company, its affiliates and its parent on legal issues arising from the Company’s real estate holdings and operations, including leasing, real estate administration, and compliance.
- Provide information, support and direction to outside counsel in litigation and other legal matters.
- Occasional commercial legal work.
- Update the Company/department on legal developments.
- Handle/coordinate expropriation and municipal legal matters.
- Some involvement in corporate records and periodic corporate reports.
- Supervise Law Clerk in respect of real estate including e-registration, and other matters.
- Register notices of leases/amendments, discharges, conduct electronic registry office searches and PPSA filings/research. Ensure that proper notices/filings are prepared/submitted in a timely manner.
- Assist in keeping the department’s budget on target.
- Law degree (LL.B./JD); member of Law Society of Upper Canada
- Minimum 5 years legal experience in real estate (including leasing) and commercial matters; franchise law experience an asset
- Proven experience in commercial real estate conveyancing and anchor retail tenant leasing; municipal law; multi-use property legal experience an asset
- Excellent negotiation, written & verbal communication and presentation skills
- Computer skills: MS Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize & work under pressure
- Valid driver’s license/travel requirements
- Excellent and flexible team player
- Office; Company Executives; VP General Counsel & Corp Sec; Montreal Legal team; Stores; Distribution Centres; Outside counsel; Government representatives; Municipal representatives/inspectors; Landlord representatives; Representatives of suppliers