Vaccination against COVID-19
METRO is partnering with other Quebec companies to support communities by offering COVID-19 vaccination clinics to its employees, their immediate family members and the communities near them. These clinics will support the actions of the public health and pharmacy networks and accelerate the pace of the vaccination campaign by adding resources and capacity to the collective effort. They will begin their activities as soon as mass vaccination will be available to the general population and according to the order of priority established by the Quebec government, which should be at the beginning of May.
METRO has also offered its contribution to the Ontario government, should it allow it, depending on the evolution of the situation and the availability of vaccines. In the meantime, we are focusing our efforts on the rollout of the vaccination in our Ontario pharmacies. Regardless of the form of the campaign in Ontario, we will continue to make every effort to do our part to help achieve mass immunization.
- Bell Centre, Montreal
- Bell Sports Complex, Brossard
- Place Bell, Laval
- New ferry terminal at the Port of Quebec
Ensuring everyone’s health and safety
Every day, we continue to work hard in our network of stores and pharmacies to provide you with a safe, clean, and pleasant shopping environment.
- Regular and frequent cleaning of our facilities according to the strictest hygiene standards
- Mandatory hand sanitization for everyone at the entrance
- Capacity limited to the number of people that can maintain a physical distance of two metres
- Plexiglas® panels in front and behind the checkout counters
- Signage on the ground to assist with physical distancing
- Strengthened sanitization measures throughout our supply chain
- Increased eCommerce offer
- Health check-in program for all employees upon the arrival
What we do to protect and support our employees
METRO actively monitors the situation, works to minimize risks and has implemented proactive measures to protect the safety and health of its employees, while ensuring that they receive the support they need.
- We've distributed procedural masks and eye protection to all our store and distribution centre employees.
- We check our employees for any symptoms or if they are not feeling well when they arrive at work and, if necessary, we ask them to return home to isolate themselves.
- Plexiglas® panels are used as front and back protectors at our checkout counters and stickers are on the floors to indicate social distancing requirements at all times throughout the store.
- We offer an Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) to all teams in our grocery stores, distribution centres and offices so that they have the support and advice they may need.
- Our store and distribution centre employees were granted an additional $2/hour for the period from March 8 to June 13 2020. As additional recognition, our full-time employees have received $200 and our part-time employees have received $100. Also, to mark an unprecedented year, in December 2020, we offered all our front-line employees in our stores and distribution centres a gift card with a value ranging from $300, $150 and $75 depending on the hours worked during the reference period. Similar bonuses in the form of gift cards were issued in February and May.
Supporting our Communities
Over $4 million donated by METRO to our long-time community partners since March 2020.
COVID-19 – One Year Later
Metro Online Grocery: Accelerated Deployment
In order to meet the increase in demand, METRO is accelerating its deployment plan to increase delivery and pick-up options available through Metro Online Grocery:
- The M Priority platform is offered in most Metro stores in Ontario and Quebec. It allows seniors and customers with reduced mobility or in isolation to be prioritized for delivery or pick-up of their order. To find out about availability in your area, visit metro.ca.
- To help customers limit their travel and contact, METRO is deploying the "click-and-collect" service. By the end of September 2021, some 170 Metro stores will offer pick-up service in both provinces. To find out what online grocery services are available in your area, visit metro.ca.
- Additionally, METRO has partnered with Cornershop, an online personal-shopping service offered via website or a mobile application in urban aeras, which allows customers to receive their orders directly at home, in as little as 60 minutes.